Manuscripts should be sent to the Manuscript Editor, Communio, P.O. Box 4557, Washington, D.C. 20017 OR preferably sent electronically to email@example.com.
We ask that authors follow the Chicago Manual of Style and our general guidelines, listed below. Please also include an abstract of no more than 500 words and an author submission form along with your submission.
Downloadable copies of the guidelines and author submission form are available in MS Word format in the Downloads section.
- Please save your manuscript as "LastName_TitleOfPaper" (for ex.: "Smith_ReflectionOnPeguy.docx").
- Please include an abstract of no more than 100 words with your manuscript.
- Submit your manuscript in MS Word or Rich Text Format.
- Double-space all copy except block quotations and footnotes.
- Block quotations should be indented one-half inch from both left and right margins. Quotations set apart in this way should be at least four full lines on the printed page. Omit quotation marks at the beginning and end of block quotations.
- Use footnotes, not endnotes.
- All bibliographic information should be included in footnotes.
- Use one-inch margins all around.
- Use Times New Roman 12-point type for all text, excluding footnotes. Use 10-point type for footnotes.
- Use proper italicization, bold, and underscoring. Italicize titles of books and journals. Do not bold titles or headings. Never use italics, bold, or underscoring to emphasize the text; achieve clarity and emphasis by sentence structure and word order. Use italics for foreign words, but do not italicize foreign expressions familiar in theological English (e.g, a priori, esse, per se).
- Do not use single quotes to emphasize a word. Single quotes should only be used for a quotation within a quotation.
- Use the Oxford comma for series and lists.
- A recent issue of Communio will provide an idea of how to format your bibliographic references.
Once we have sent confirmation that we received your submission, your manuscript will be submitted to a panel of readers, who will return a decision within about four months.
For Manuscript Reviewers
Manuscript reviewers receive an electronic copy of guidelines along with the article they have agreed to review. We have placed a downloadable MS Word version of that guide in the Downloads section.